- We made this t-shirt because we love merino and wanted to represent it properly. We use 17.5 micron fibers, rather than the 18.9 most brands do, because the finer fibers are softer and just plain beautiful to touch. We use 200gsm fabric rather than the 150-160gsm most companies do because it drapes far better, has a wonderful hand feel and is a bit more durable.
Merino also takes color wonderfully, and its natural UV resistance means it almost never fades. Better yet it possesses the remarkable ability to wick moisture into its core while remaining dry to the touch. This means it both cools you in the heat and keeps you insulated in the cool. It also creates a bacteriostatic environment that stays remarkably free of odors. You can wear it for days without washing if you really want to.
We believe that the best way to represent a fabric is as simply as possible and a t-shirt is pretty close to as simple a garment as it gets. We don't get tricky with it, just a moderately lean cut, that's long enough to keep you covered in action. We have it sewn up out in the SF Bay area at a factory with serious merino expertise and it's a wrap.
Pick up three for $270 or one for $98.
Merino is in our opinion easily nature's finest performance fabric. We use 17.5 micron fibers, because the finer fibers are softer and just plain beautiful to touch. We use 200gsm fabric, which is a bit heavier than what most merino brands use for this type garment, because it has a wonderful hand feel and is a bit more durable. We source it from New Zealand, using Zque certified wool, where it is knit into a single yet gorgeous jersey.
Merino has the incredible ability to suck moisture into the very core of the fiber. This pulls moisture away from your skin cooling you as you exercise, and allows the fabric to keep breathing if it gets wet. As the temperature cools the natural crimps in the fabric insulate you, merino simply is more comfortable in a wider range of temperatures than anything else we know of.
Merino also takes color incredibly, and since it has a natural UV resistance it hardly fades at all. We have four year old, well worn, black merino tees that are still darker and richer in color than brand new cotton ones.
One word of warning though, premium low micron merino is addictive. Once you get a taste of the merino quality it's hard to quit. Luckily its natural bacteriostatic properties make it highly odor resistant. You'll find you can get a lot more wear between washes, a good thing as ultrafine merino does not come cheap.
- Outlier Ultrafine Merino T-Shirt
- Made with 100% New Zealand Merino Wool
- 17.5 micron merino
- 200gsm single jersey fabric
- Zque certified
- Odor resistant
- Comfortable in a wide temperature range
- Core wicking
- Dry handfeel
- UV resistant
- Fits true to size
- For best results hand wash cold, lay flat to dry.
- Can be machine washed and dried but expect about half a size shrinkage in length. (Personally we're split in the office, but most of us machine wash ours).
- Made in the USA with New Zealand fabric
- Part of our Core Pack and Climb Pack
- Outlier Ultrafine Merino T-Shirt
Fits true to size. Expect about half a size shrinkage when machine washed and dried.
Please refer to the table below for garment's exact measurements.
Garment measurements in inches, measured flat
Size XS S M L XL Chest measured flat edge to edge 18 19 20 21 22 Length high shoulder to bottom 27 27.5 28 28.5 29 Sleeve length center back to cuff 16.5 17 17.5 18 18.5Body measurements in inches Size XS S M L XL Chest 34 36 38 40 42
Photos by Emiliano Granado