- Supermarine strength meets Soft Core technology. Strong on the outside, soft and warm on the inside while maintaining incredible breathability. The Supermarine Soft Core Jacket keeps you comfortably warm and looking good whether you're hiking up a mountain or exploring the city. Built to handle the elements of Iceland yet classic enough to walk the streets of NYC.
Supermarine® Cotton keeps you safe from the elements, long staple fibers are densely woven in a complex weave that swell up and seal when exposed to water. It's extremely breathable, highly water resistant and completely windproof. Paired with our Soft Core technology, with Superfine merino knit and Primaloft Synergy insulation for a dry and versatile warmth, it's the best of both worlds. Strategically placed insulation and ventilation zips on the back sleeves make sure you stay warm without overheating. Two interior pockets and three exterior pockets carry whatever you need and adjustable sleeve cuffs keeps the cold air out. The waist drawcord is made from Dyneema rope with a breaking strength of over 3,500 lbs and has custom leather cinches. Two-way zip and custom Corozo buttons round out this beautifully versatile winter jacket.
- Outlier Soft Core Technology is a three layer system designed to produce optimal balanced insulation. The inner layer is a merino knit (superfine 18.9 micron, 150 gram) for a beautiful soft feel and merino's incredible moisture and odor management properties. The mid layer is a 100 gram Primaloft Synergy insulation. The outer layer can vary but in this particular case, we used a yarn dyed Supermarine® Cotton from Italy. It's quiet, highly water and wind repellant and incredibly breathable.
The secret to the future, they say, is hidden in the past. Supermarine® Cotton is a 21st century edit to a nearly forgotten World War II fabric. You can think of it as the pinnacle of cotton technology, extremely breathable, highly water resistant and completely windproof. 100% Cotton fibers woven together in a complex weave that swells up and seals when exposed to water. The result is a beautiful cloth that we think is the best rainy day fabric around.
For decades it's been obscured from the public, kept alive mainly by demand from a few Air Force units, Antarctic explorers and funnily enough, bird watchers; all who have different understandings of its unique properties. Supermarine® Cotton stays comfortable under pressure and there is none of that sweaty/clammy feeling you get with GoreTex and other synthetic "waterproof-breathable" fabrics. It isn't technically "waterproof" by government standards but you can stay dry for hours in the rain wearing it. The dense weave combined with the premium fiber results in a fabric that is simultaneously tough and supple and it breaks in beautifully.
Historically this fabric is an updated version of a fabric the British invented in World War II to keep their pilots alive in the North Sea if they happened to get shot down. It was later used by the British Navy, in Antarctic exploration and by Edmond Hillary during the first ascent of Mount Everest. It was even used to make firehoses and eventually found its way into high-end hiking gear. Since it requires a very dense weave of the most expensive cotton fibers on the market, it never quite broke through into the mainstream and with the advent of GoreTex it faded from the general marketplace. Bird watchers still sought it out since it's significantly quieter than the loud synthetic fabrics that took over, while Antarctic teams prized it for its amazing windproof quality. The main customer of the past few decades however has been various Air Forces who understood just how superior a fabric it is, and are willing to pay for it.
We source this version of Supermarine® Cotton from Italy and it differs from the historical British version in two important ways, it is lighter and it is treated with a premium durable water resistance (DWR) that is not wax-based. The water resistance in the historical formulation comes from two factors, the denseness of the weave and the fact that cotton fibers swell up when exposed to moisture. Adding the DWR treatment into the mix results in a significantly superior rain repellant and breathable fabric that far outclasses both the synthetic "waterproof-breathable" fabrics of the world and the heavy, clammy Barbour-style waxed cotton. It looks better, wears better and is dramatically more comfortable.
- The Supermarine Soft Core Jacket
- 100% cotton outer, 100% polyester inside, 100% merino wool lining
- Supermarine Cotton outer with Soft Core inner
- 100 gram Primaloft Synergy insulation
- Lined with superfine 18.9 micron New Zealand merino (150 gram)
- High weather resistance
- Highly breathable
- Temperature regulating
- Comfortably warm in a wide range of temperatures
- Modified pivot sleeve construction
- Back arm zips for ventilation
- Adjustable wrist cuffs
- Two inside pockets
- Three exterior pockets with button closure
- Dyneema waist drawcord with a breaking strength of 3,840 lbs
- Custom Corozo buttons
- Tab collar
- Classic looks
- Fits true to size, for extreme winter layering size up
- Available in NavyGray and Tan
- Spot clean or dry clean only
- Made in New York City
- The Supermarine Soft Core Jacket
- Fits true to size with a trim look. For extreme winter layering size up.
Size Chart (in inches)
X-Small Small Medium Large X-Large Chest Size 34 36 38 40 43 Body Length 28 28.75 29.5 30.25 31 Sleeve (from center back) 34.5 35 36 36.5 36.75
A better white cotton shirt. Two-ply cotton is crisp, durable and blazed with Nano-Tex so it stays clean, dry and comfortable. Sewn into our classic Pivot Sleeve pattern. Read More
A near perfect t-shirt made with 17.5 micron merino, nature's finest performance fabric. Beautifully soft and remarkably dry to the touch, merino's core wicking properties helps cool you in the heat and insulate you in the cool. Read More
A classic pant in our most technical fabric. Optimized for bike-to-work but wearable anywhere. Freedom of movement meets durability, water resistance and breathability.
Slim and free. A lean cut reengineered for a life of action. Our core OG Cloth has an incredible four-way stretch, plus hardcore durability and doublewoven comfort.
A rolltop backpack made from some of the world's most advanced materials. Lightweight and balanced so you can almost forget you have it on, stable and proportioned so it moves in sync with you. A backpack made to be worn, not carried. Read More
A classic cool weather layering piece made from nature's finest performance fabric. Wear it under as a base layer or over as a light sweater. Read More
Gentle yet tough, a dream on your feet. The Megafine Merino Socks are likely the finest socks you've ever stepped into. Designed for comfort, durability and style and made with the finest 15.5 micron merino. Available now for $21 or pick up three for $48, seven for $98 or twelve for $144. Read More