- We’re always looking for a better way at Outlier and sometimes that means tearing a classic product apart and rebuilding it, phoenix-like, from the ashes. We’ve been building off of a core idea for years now - that the perfect pair of shorts are tailored like a dress pant to look great, built using performance fabrics so you can run or train in them, and can double as a swim trunk with water-ready details.
The idea is you only really need to own one pair of shorts. They need to look right, with a proper waistband and working fly (both for function and to prevent those oversharing gym short type visuals!). They need to have proper pockets, two deep front pockets and two rear welt ones as well. They need to be lightweight and breezy, but with enough structure to look good and durable enough to take hiking. They need to dry quickly so you can take them anywhere and stay comfortable. And perhaps most importantly they need water-ready details so when you reach some beautiful water you can dive right in. That means flow through pockets so you don't get bogged down and a drawstring waist so your shorts stay up when it counts.
As with all Outlier products every material is considered, from the American made T40 thread on up. We started with the body fabric. It needed to be light and comfortable all summer long, yet strong and structured enough to take a beating and still look great. It needed to feel good, move well and dry quickly too. We found the answer being woven in Sweden. The 200gsm F. Cloth is built around air texturized, Cordura grade, nylon yarns with a substantive two-way stretch. It's finished with a durable water repellant treatment so it dries quicker and stays clean longer. We paired it with a lightweight 100gsm American pocketing made out of similar but much finer air texturized nylon yarns.
For the waistband we used a true mil-spec American made paracord. The mesh in the flow through pockets is similarly American made and mil-spec. The slot button is custom made in Italy out of Mombasa poly, attached with webbing made in Pennsylvania. Finally the YKK coil zippers are made down in Georgia.
When it all adds up, what you've got is a better short. A short that lets you do more and own less. The New Way Shorts.
Grab three for $333. Pick one up with a Grid Linen Towel as part of our Swim Pack for $160, or with a Mojave Pivot Shirt in our Short/Short Pack for $222.
Also available in Longs.
Strong, durable and lightweight. Our F. Cloth is a 200gsm 97% Nylon, 3% Elastane canvas woven in Sweden. Boasting a substantial 35% two-way stretch, F. Cloth is significantly freer than many stretch fabrics. It's lightweight and breathable, while the light DWR and air texturized Cordura grade nylon yarns are both strong and soft enough to be a joy to wear every day.
- New Way Shorts
- Made with F. Cloth
- 97% Nylon, 3% Elastane
- Air texturized Cordura grade nylon canvas
- Two-way stretch
- DWR Treated for quick drying
- Made in Sweden
- Air texturized nylon pocketing
- Made in the USA
- Mil-spec flat mesh
- Made in the USA
- Paracord Type III MIL-C-5040 internal drawstring
- Triple barrel knot drawstring ends
- Custom Italian Mombasa poly slot button
- Belt loops
- Functional fly
- YKK #7 coil zipper, made in Georgia
- Four flow through pockets
- Two deep front pockets
- Two rear welt pockets
- Tailored cut
- Machine wash warm, hang dry or tumble dry medium
- Iron low
- Dry cleanable (do not use trichloroethylene)
- Made in Newark, New Jersey with Swiss fabric
- New Way Shorts
Fits true to size.
Please refer to the table below for exact garment measurements.
Garment measurements in inches, measured flat
Size 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 38 Top opening 15.25 15.75 16.25 16.75 17.25 17.75 18.25 18.75 19.25 20.25 Front Rise 9.5 9.75 10 10.25 10.5 10.88 11.25 11.63 12 12.75 Inseam 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 Leg opening 9.5 9.75 10 10.25 10.5 10.75 11 11.25 11.5 12Body measurements in inches Size 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 38 Natural waist at narrowest point 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 38